- How does Blue Sky® work?
When you sign up for Blue Sky, you support renewable energy equal to all or part of your energy use. That means that you’ll pay a little extra on your bill each month to support clean, renewable energy projects and drive demand for renewable energy in your state. When you enroll, Pacific Power will purchase Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) on your behalf. These RECs come from newly developed facilities in the western region of the United States, which means you’re boosting your local economy and building a market for renewable energy. Participation is voluntary, requires no contracts, and can be canceled at any time.
- What is renewable energy and why is it important?
Simply put, renewable energy is energy from sources that replenish themselves without depleting the Earth’s resources. Compared to traditional energy sources, renewable energy offers benefits including:
- Lower levels of air pollutants and wastewater
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions
- Reduced reliance on imported and domestic fossil fuels
- Stimulates our local economies — creating jobs and building a market for new renewable energy projects
If you’d like to learn more about renewable energy, please visit the following resources:
- What's a Renewable Energy Certificate (REC)?
A renewable energy certificate (REC) represents the environmental attributes of one megawatt-hour of renewable energy generated. RECs are one way the U.S. Department of Energy and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommend procuring renewable energy. To learn more about RECs, watch this short video or visit the EPA’s website.
- What renewable energy resources will I be supporting when I enroll?
You’ll be supporting a mixture of renewable resources like wind and solar from the Pacific Northwest or the greater Western region, depending on the enrollment option you select. The percentage and mix of renewable energy changes annually but you can find the current year’s mix here.
- What are my options for enrolling in Blue Sky? How much does it cost?
How much you pay per month depends on your current usage and the level at which you enroll. Find the option that’s right for you, including expected cost, through our environmental impact calculator.
- Where does my money go?
Pacific Power doesn’t make a profit from the Blue Sky program. Renewable energy supported by Blue Sky participants is above and beyond the basic service mix.
Here’s how your money is allocated:
- Renewable energy: Pacific Power purchases renewable energy certificates on your behalf from newly developed facilities in your region.
- Education, outreach and administration: We dedicate a portion of the program funds to provide customers with education and awareness about their renewable energy options.
- Community projects and habitat restoration: The Block option supports the construction of new community-based renewable energy projects in your state and the Habitat option (available to Oregon customers) funds native fish habitat restoration.
- Can I sign up if I live in an apartment?
You can live in an apartment, condo, house, tiny home, or even own a business, rent or own, and still be eligible to participate in Blue Sky as long as you’re a Pacific Power account holder. If you’re not sure if your Pacific Power account is in your name, you can call 1-800-769-3717 and speak with a representative.
- If I move, does my Blue Sky enrollment transfer to my new location?
Yes — as long as you move within Pacific Power’s service area, your enrollment will automatically continue.
- What if I’m on an Equal Pay Program?
You can enroll in Blue Sky and remain in your Equal Pay Program. Blue Sky will be added to the total cost of your regular bill. If you select the Block option, your bill will remain a fixed monthly cost. However, if you’re an Oregon customer and select the Usage or Habitat options, the Blue Sky portion of your monthly bill will fluctuate with your actual electricity usage each month.
- Is there a contract?
Participation is voluntary, requires no contracts, and can be canceled at any time.
- How do I sign up for Blue Sky?
We’re glad you asked! You can enroll by clicking here or call us toll free at 1-800-769-3717.
Didn’t find your question? Call us at 1-800-769-3717 or email [email protected].